What’s better than cake? One that practically makes itself after only 10 minutes of prep time, that’s what. This easy (and super-decadent) treat uses just a few simple ingredient shortcuts, like boxed cake mix and chocolate pudding, and bakes up so perfectly in your slow cooker.
It’s a great recipe for entertaining, since you can get it started before guests arrive. I love serving this during holidays, when our whole family is over, since I don’t have to keep an eye on it while it is doing its thing and then just top it with fresh red berries and either ice cream or whipped cream when it’s ready.
Easy slow cooker lava cake recipe
Serves 10 – 12
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 3 hours | Total time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (15.25-ounce) boxed chocolate cake mix
- 3 whole eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 (3.9-ounce) package chocolate pudding (not instant)
- 2 cups milk (any type — skim, 2 percent, etc.)
- 1-3/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- Fresh berries, for garnish
- Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
- Spray the bowl of the slow cooker generously with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a bowl, prepare the cake mix as directed on the box, then add it to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the chocolate pudding as directed on the box, then add that to the slow cooker.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips, and place the lid on the cooker.
- Set the timer to cook on high for 3 – 4 hours, or cook until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with slightly sticky crumbs.
- When ready to serve, spoon into bowls, and serve with ice cream and red berries.
More slow cooker dessert recipes