I’ve been a fan of Valentine’s Day since way back in grade school when my classmates and I all exchanged cheap Valentine’s cards and candies. Now that I’m married, I look forward to the day as an excuse to celebrate the love between my husband and I. We usually keep it low-key — dinner at home, a few gifts and, of course, a meaningful card. We’ve kept all of our Valentine’s Day cards since when we were dating, and it’s grown to be quite the collection. Whether you’re casually dating someone, in a long-term relationship or have been married for decades, here’s how to approach your Valentine’s Day love note.
The new lover
Tip: Avoid sexual comments. They may be fun, but they’re best kept out of a card, especially in the new relationship.
You want to express your care for this person, without totally freaking them out. Here are a few ideas on what to write:
- I love that you’re my Valentine!
- Muah! Happy Valentine’s Day!
- I was never a fan of this holiday until meeting you, my sweet Valentine.
- I’ve loved getting to know you and spending time with you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Our favorite quote: “Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.” – Author unknown
The steady boyfriend or girlfriend
Valentine’s Day could be the perfect time to let your long-term love know just how much they mean to you and how much you’re looking forward to the future. Ideas on what to write include:
- The past few Valentine’s Days with you have been wonderful. I’m looking forward to many more!
- You mean everything to me. Happy Valentine’s Day to my one and only.
- “True love stories never have endings.” – Richard Bach
- “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” – Author unknown
- “When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you. When I met you, I was afraid to kiss you. When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I’m afraid to lose you.” – Rene Yasenek
Our favorite quote: “Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.” – Robert Browning
Today’s the day to let your husband know just how much you love and appreciate him. And since you already won him over, you can be as cheesy as you please! Cute quotes and sayings to write on his card include:
- “Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite.” – Author unknown
- You are the love of my life — always have been, always will be. Happy Valentine’s Day to the person of my dreams.
- “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” – Robert A. Heinlein
- “A hundred hearts would be too few to carry all my love for you.” – Author unknown
Our favorite quote: “I’ve fallen in love many times… always with you.” – Author unknown
And a few bonus Valentine’s Day quotes for the humorous couple:
- “Without Valentine’s Day, February would be… well, January.” – Jim Gaffigan
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” – Rita Rudner
- “I don’t understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine’s Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon.” – Author unknown
This article was recently updated.